“I am the light of the world," says the Lord; "Whoever who follows me will have the light of life.” (John 8:12).

Thursday, September 30, 2010

September 30th






Layla took a few steps backwards this week. She was becoming bloated again and they took her off of her feedings. They put her back on her oxygen and had to put another tube in her stomach to relieve some gas. She also had an IV out in to give her fluids while she was not eating. That got moved from her foot to her right arm then to her left arm.She is pretty bruised up right now.
Last night around 8pm they resumed feeding her,but only 10 cc. All last night she fussed and cried. The nurse said she was screaming at one point and they could not settle her down. I arrived by 8am and she had just stopped crying. She was on her way to la la land.
The doctors made their rounds and increased her feedings to 15cc and added another IV drip of lipids. They were adding calories to her food but this is most likely why she keeps getting bloated. So as we experiment with Layla's intestines, they will eventually figure out what the correct amount is that her little belly can handle.
I'm really trying not to get upset when things like this seem like they can be avoided, but it is becoming difficult. Who wants to find out after the fact that their baby was inconsolable all night long? I'm getting a bit upset because, this is not how I would care for her if she were at home.
I know she still has a way to go. She may need to go home with Oxygen. I know she may need to gain some weight. There is one thing I know more than anything, she will not be crying ALL night long.
That being said. I did get to hold her and tell her I loved her. They moved her to another section called the Special Care NICU. She happens to be right by a window, so my family can actually see her very well through the glass. She looks much better in person. This is so convenient when all our own children want to see her real quick. Like after school or on the way home. Of course that would never do for me, I am way too greedy. I need to feel her, touch her, and smell her.
Tomorrow I will spend most of the day with her so I can see for myself just whats going on. Is she really crabby or just lonely? Enjoy the picture, because I have a bazillion of them!
Love and prayers for my Sweet Layla
Kathleen

No comments: